Before I got my most recent second job (which is a pain in the ass, by the way. Scheduling the shifts around one another, dealing with offended first job management, learning a new environment), I dropped my resume off to many places. Probably 6-10 in the region. 5 got back to me. I worked hard for one job, and I got it.
While I'm here; if you want a bartending job or a hospitality job, FOLLOW UP. Drop your resume off looking good and ready to go to work (girls, this means photo-ready with classy clothes, guys, this means look neat!). Call back and ask for management in a few days and say you're "just calling to follow up on your resume." Trust me on this. I got my first bartending job by turning up, looking hot and having a very very tidy resume. It wasn't particularly filled with much, but it was tidy and it looked good. On top of this, I had a good cover letter. I walked in and asked to speak to the manager, please. I was already speaking to him, so I confidently explained my position. A week later I came back through the same establishments with friends for a night out, and the same manager was on duty. I exclaimed "hire me!" and he rostered me on for 6pm Tuesday.
Not the best story to illustrate how this sort of thing works. Obviously the place has to be hiring. you don't have to be a supermodel to work behind the bar, but looks and charm help a great deal. Tidy, a great smile, and good service personality is essential. Men need charm; female patrons loved being woo'ed by the bartender. Girls need sex appeal but a "do not touch" vibe to them. I've actually been scheduled off busy nights for flirting too much... they want girl next door, not slut on the street.
The following job was a much more regular occurrence. I saw the job posted for bar staff, and responded with a phone call (manager was not there) and an email. A week later, I applied in person looking good with a cover letter and resume. The manager was not there, so I came back later. We had a talk, and that evening I was on the roster as a trial. I started, completed my trial and was hired. This is much more typical.
Continuing on. A very classy place that mainly serves $70 meals and wine called. And called. I said i'd drop by, I didn't, and they keep calling. Even offering me emergency shifts; ie, I call when I have nothing else to do and they roster me on.
A little secret; I'm bad at wines. I like cocktails and fluorescent shooters. I can appreciate a good moscato or aged sweet red but that's about where I finish it. I'm a whiskey girl, afterall.
So I said i'd drop by on Thursday after I finish my "real job", and I'll have a talk to the elderly gentlemen who owns the establishment. Somehow I don't think I can cram in a third job.
About "sloe"
An early 90's woman juggling full-time work between two bars, and fulltime study during the day. Regular lack of sleep, (classy) raunchy mixups with coworkers and patrons, and tales from behind the glamorous world of the bartender. Here you will find my stories and day to day work pains, secrets and hi-tale non-fiction erotica.
Terms:
Bar 1# - my first bar job. Minimal shifts, but quiet and perfect for Sunday's. Balancing waitressing, and being main female bartender. Oh, I've also had hot bar sex with my manager here.
Bar #2 - my main bar job. Consisting of full-time night hours, 7-13 hour shifts. Famous bar and tourist attraction, a "cowboy" bar.
Followers
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(18)
-
▼
October
(10)
- I don't get sick of this.
- 9 hour shift.
- Friday nights are DJ night.
- I'm being pestered by work opportunities.
- This weeks roster..
- I wonder if I can claim a Jim Beam bikini on tax.
- r rated.
- 10 things other bartenders don't tell you.
- 26 hour weekend.
- So let's cut to the (lemon garnish) chase here. I'...
-
▼
October
(10)
Blogroll
Labels
bartending
(2)
bad parts
(1)
bartenders
(1)
bartending look and fashion
(1)
beginner
(1)
explaination
(1)
first night
(1)
how to get a bartending job
(1)
insider stuff
(1)
insomnia
(1)
long hours
(1)
relationships
(1)
resumes
(1)
shift
(1)
shifts
(1)
sleeping with your boss
(1)
trial
(1)
uncatagorised
(1)
QuikFaq.
1) 20 years old.
2) full-time day study.
3) 2 night jobs, fulltime hours.
I'm being pestered by work opportunities.
Tuesday, 25 October 2011
Labels:
bartending,
how to get a bartending job,
resumes
Posted by sloe. (Swing-inn bartender journals) at 4:57 pm
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment